Download: Regulations (PDF)
- Popularisation and promotion of running as the simplest form of recreation.
- Promotion of the City of Poznań in Poland and in the world.
The City of Poznań
Poznań Sports and Recreation Centres
34 Spychalskiego Street
61-553 Poznań, Poland
phone +48 (61) 835 79 17
The run shall be held under the patronage of the Mayor of the City of Poznań.
III. Marathon Office
- The Marathon Office is located in the registered office of Poznań Sports and Recreation Centres, i.e.:
34 Spychalskiego Street, 61-553 Poznań, Poland, in the rooms: 201, 203, 204.
Open from Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00p.m.
phone +48 61 835 79 17
- On 13-14 October 2023, the Marathon Office shall change its registered office to:
Poznań International Fair Ltd.
14 Głogowska Street, 60-734 Poznań, Poland
Hall no. 3
IV. Date and venue
- The run shall take place on 15 October 2023 in Poznań.
- Start: at ul. Grunwaldzka (at the Poznań International Fair Ltd.)
- at 8:55 a.m. – wheelchair users (types of the wheelchairs permitted to a start by the Organiser),
- at 9:00 a.m. – runners.
- Finish: Poznań International Fair Ltd. (St. Mark’s Square).
V. Start zones
- The competitors line up at the start in designated and appropriately marked start zones in the following order:
- wheelchair users,
- elite runners,
- the other runners – in the zones according to the information on the bib number.
- The start zones are assigned to the participants on the basis of the finish time declared by them in the notification to complete the Marathon.
- Each start zone is assigned a corresponding colour strip visible on the competitor’s bib number:
- Zone for wheelchairs – orange strip
- Zone AA – yellow strip – run elite
- Zone A – red strip – competitors with time below 3:10
- Zone B – green strip – time between 3:11 – 3:29
- Zone C – blue strip – time between 3:30 – 3:59
- Zone D – violet strip – time between 4:00 – 4:29
- Zone E – brown strip – time between 4:30
- The chosen start zone can be changed for a different one by the participant on his/her individual on-line profile on the Marathon web site by 5th October 2023.
- The route length: 42.195 km.
- The route covers 1 loop.
- The route is certified by AIMS, World Athletics, Polish Association of Athletics (PZLA).
- Each kilometre of the route is marked with the vertical signs.
- The route of the Marathon shall be closed to traffic until 3:30 p.m.
VII. Time limit
- The applicable time limit for the run completion by the competitors is of 6 hours.
- The runners who do not finish the run until within the time limit specified in the clause VII.1 are obliged to discontinue the run and get off from the run route or reach the finish by the minibus marked with the “Finish of the Maraton” sign.
- The participants who stay on the run route upon an expiry of the time limit specified in these Rules and Regulations do so at their own risk and responsibility. In this case are applicable the provisions of the Road Traffic Law Act and the Civil Law Act.
VIII. Time measurement
- The general and age ranking shall take place on the basis of real times (net time – counted from the moment the runner crosses the start line). The first 100 runners crossing the finish line are the exception from this rule – their official time is gross time – counted from the starter’s shot). If there is no 8 men and 8 women in the first 100 finishing runners, the number or runners classified on the basis of the gross time is increased appropriately until such a number of men and women crosses the finish line.
- Each run participant shall receive information both about his/her gross, and net times in his/her final results.
- The time is measured by a chip attached to a running shoe lace of the participant. The chips are returnable at the finish line of the marathon.
- The charge for time measurement is included in the registration fee.
- The time control points are located along the route at: start line, 5 km, 10 km, 15 km, 20 km, 21,097 km, 25 km, 30 km, 35 km, 40 km, finish line. No readout of the chip at any of the control points may result in a disqualification.
- The personnel at the control points shall note down the bib numbers of the runners who take a short cut along the route. The runners taking the short cut or going the wrong route shall be disqualified.
IX. Nutrition, sanitary and medical points
- The nutrition points are located approximately every 5 km starting from 5th kilometre of the route.
- At all nutrition points can be found: water and chocolate. At other selected points along the route there shall be: isotonic drink, bananas, cola. The Organiser shall announce exactly which products and at which points they shall be available in a publication on the website at www.marathon.poznan.pl.
- It is not recommended to the runners to drink and eat along the run route beyond the points specified by the Organiser.
- The Organiser fails to accept private nutritional supplements belonging to the participants excluding the runners reported as the run elite.
- Upon finishing the run, after the finish line the participants shall receive:
- in the finish zone – fruit, chocolate and beverages,
- upon leaving the finish zone – warm meal.
- The meal after the run shall be free of charge for the Marathon participants. The basis for issuing a portion of pasta shall be the competitor’s bib number.
- In the vicinity of each nutrition points shall be located the medical points and the cabin toilets (toilets).
- The Organiser shall ensure medical care at the run start, along the run route and at the run finish.
- The right to start in the 22nd Poznań Marathon named after Maciej Frankiewicz is granted only to the persons who at the latest on 15th October 2023 turn 18 years old.
- Only the runners and wheelchair users take part in the 22nd Poznań Marathon named after Maciej Frankiewicz. The Organiser due to the safety reasons doesn’t allow for the participation of the people on skates, roller skates, skateboards, bicycles and other mechanical devices. Due to the character of the Marathon the people with sticks (trekking and Nordic Walking) are forbidden to start.
- The Organiser fails to give its consent to run the Marathon with a bib number assigned to another person. The competitor who runs with the bib number assigned to the other person shall be disqualified.
- During the run, all competitors must have their bib numbers pinned.
- The bib number must be attached at the front to sports shirt/top on the chest or at the front on the waist belt for the bib numbers fastened on the hips. Under the penalty of disqualification, it is unacceptable to cover the bib number in part or in whole, its modification and placing the bib number on the back. The competitors who start without the bib number visible in the front threatened with a disqualification.
- During the run, all competitors must have a pinned chip. The chip must be fixed to the left or right leg (shoe shoelace). Placing chips in other places threatens with a disqualification.
- The wheelchair users are required to wear a helmet on their head.
- The rules of the PZLA (“Rules of Athletics Competitions’ Polish edition on the basis of World Athletics), IAAF (https://www.iaaf.org/about-iaaf/documents), AIMS guidelines and these Rules and Regulations are applicable in respect of the participants of the Marathon.
- By signing up for the Marathon, the competitor automatically declares that he/she has familiarised himself/herself with the Rules and Regulations of the competition and undertakes to observe them.
- Competitors are obliged to comply with the sanitary instructions in force on the date of the start specified by the sanitary services and the Organiser.
XI. Participants verification and a collection of start packages
- The verification of the competitors and the start packages issuing (including bib numbers, the Marathon gifts and informative materials) shall take place in the Marathon Office in the area of the International Fair Ltd., at 14 Głogowska Street only on:
- 13/10/2023 (Friday) within 11:00 a.m. – 08:00 p.m.,
14/10/2023 (Saturday) within 10:00 a.m. – 08:00 p.m.
- 13/10/2023 (Friday) within 11:00 a.m. – 08:00 p.m.,
- A verification of the competitors and a collection of the start packages shall take place in the Marathon Office on the basis of the identity card or a start card, that can be collected by the participant from his/her individual runner’s profile. A competitor who collects his/her start package only on the basis of an identity document should know his/her bib number before approaching the collection desk.
- The start card shall be available from 5th October 2023 at 11:00a.m. on the individual competitor’s profile (access: www.marathon.poznan.pl – “Runner’s Profile” tab).
If the participant cannot personally collect the start package, he/she must give the start card (photocopy or scan) or ID card (photocopy or scan) to the person who shall receive the package for him/her.
- On the date when the Marathon is held, i.e., 15th October 2023, the Marathon Office shall be closed, and a collection of the start packages shall be impossible.
- The Organiser shall not send start packages by post or courier. Also, start packages not collected in the Marathon Office shall not be sent or issued at a later date.
- The start package shall include:
- an envelope with a bib number, a time measurement chip, a sticker with a number for a locker room sack for the deposit, 4 safety pins, a sack for the deposit,
- a sack/bag, advertising materials from the sponsors.
- General ranking – women and men.
- Age ranking – women and men: 18-29, 30-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75 and older. The age ranking is not applicable to the wheelchair users.
- The best citizen of Poznań – woman and man.
- The oldest participant of the Marathon – woman and man.
- General ranking – disabled wheelchair users on the wheelchairs featuring a direct drive (active wheelchairs without any adaptors of the FreeWheel, eway, etc. type) and having a direct drive (sport wheelchairs – rim-push), with an indirect drive (handbike, chain ones).
- The overall ranking of women and men for the 43rd PZLA Women’s Polish Championships and 93rd PZLA Men’s Marathon Polish Championships.
XIII. Applications / Fees
- The applications are accepted via the on-line form published on the following web site at: www.marathon.poznan.pl or personally in the Organiser Office or the Marathon Office.
- The time limit for the on-line applications is 12th October 2023 or once the applications limit is reached.
- On 13 and 14 October 2023, (if the limit of paid registrations is not exhausted beforehand) the applications and the registration fees shall be accepted only in person the Marathon Office (Poznań International Fair, hall no. 3), within its opening hours between, i.e., from 10:00 a.m. until 08:00 p.m.
- The limit of the paid applications is of 5 000 persons.
- An application is considered effective when the Organiser gets correctly filled application form and the registration fee is credited to its bank account.
- The Organiser establishes the following amounts of the registration fees:
The technical T-shirts, priced at PLN 50 each, can be purchased either immediately by signing up for the run or at a later date by logging into your runner profile, but no later than 12 September 2023.
Deadline for registration Starter pack without t-shirt Starter pack with t-shirt Until March 8, 2023 140 PLN 190 PLN From March 9 to June 30, 2023 180 PLN 230 PLN From July 1 to August 31, 2023 200 PLN 250 PLN From September 1 to October 12, 2023 220 PLN Possibility to buy a t-shirt until September 12, 2023. On October 13 and 14, 2023 250 PLN No t-shirt purchase available
- The detailed sizes of the T-shirts are shown in the table attached to the registration form. T-shirts are issued on the basis of the size specified in the registration form, without the possibility of changing the declared size. Changing the size of a purchased T-shirt is possible until 12 September 2023. Regarding T-shirts purchased but not collected on 13 and 14 October 2023, the Organiser requests for e-mail contact at email@example.com after 16 October 2023.
- The competitor has the right to purchase the start package with any number of technical T-shirts dedicated to the Marathon, of which the cost of one T-shirt is PLN 50. Ordering the T-shirt(s) is possible by ticking an additional box when signing up only until 12 September 2023 inclusive.
- The amount of the registration fee depends on the payment date or the bank transfer date, not the registration date for the run.
- Once paid, the registration fee is not subject to return and transfer to the events organised by the Organiser within the subsequent years.
- The Organiser ensures that data related to the payment process, i.e., credit card numbers and details, as well as the access codes to the on-line bank accounts, are not recorded by the organiser. For the purpose of protecting confidential data, transactions made through an external on-line payment system shall be encrypted.
- The following participants have the right to participate in the Marathon for free provided they register by 14th October 2023:
- participants who completed all 21 editions of the Poznań Marathon,
- wheelchair users,
- participants who were on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in their age rankings in the 22nd Poznań Marathon; there is a possibility to assign the free of charge start to another person (in order to do so, please contact the Marathon Office),
- participants who take part in the Marathon on the basis of the separate contracts and agreements concluded by the Poznań Sports and Recreation Centres Headquarters (POSiR),
- participants exempted from paying the registration fee by the Poznań Sports and Recreation Centres Director (individual cases) based on a written request of the interested party,
- winners of the competitions organised by the Organiser, Partners and Sponsors, where an award constituted an exemption from registration fee,
- official pacemakers,
- contract competitors,
- honour guests who take part in the run invited by the Organiser.
- Disabled persons, other than listed above, shall be exempted from the registration fee based on the written request of the Director of the Poznań Sports and Recreation Centres Headquarters (POSiR) or they may request a refund a registration fee on the basis of a medical certificate presented for inspection during a collection of the start package. Please DO NOT SEND the medical certificates by e-mail or traditional mail to the Organiser.
- The competitors over 60 years old have the right to a 50% discount (discounts do not add up).
- The runners who have the “Ogólnopolska Karta Dużej Rodziny’ card featuring a territorial code of the city of Poznań have the right to get a 25% discount on the registration fee. The “Karta Dużej Rodziny’ card issued by the other cities do not authorise to get a 25% discount (discounts do not add up).
- The competitors holding the OK Poznań Programme Card shall have the right to a 25% discount (discounts do not add up).
- The bib number can be transferred to another participant, who is registered, but fails to already have his/her bib number within the non-negotiable time limit until 04th October 2023. In order to effect it, the form for the participation transfer, which can be found on the participant’s individual profile on the web site: https://runner.marathon.poznan.pl/ must be completed. The Organiser waives its responsibility and liability for the mistakes of the participants made during the transfer of their bib number to the other participant.
- The Organiser fails to provide agency services in the settlements between the participants.
- The winners in the general category of men and women (1st-3rd places) shall receive cups.
- The winners in the individual age categories of men and women (graded according to net time), shall receive for the first, second, third place an exemption from the registration fee in the 23rd 22nd Poznań Marathon named after Maciej Frankiewicz 2024, with an option to transfer it to another person.
- The winners in the category of the best Poznań citizen – man and woman (1st place) – shall receive cups.
- The winners in the category of the oldest participant – man and woman (1st place) – shall receive cups.
- The cash prizes in the general category of men and women (runners):
- 1st place – PLN 20 000
- 2nd place – PLN 12 000
- 3rd place – PLN 8 000
- 4th place – PLN 6 000
- 5th place – PLN 4 000
- 6th place – PLN 3 000
- The bonus for breaking the record of the Poznań Marathon for the first woman (time below 02:27:01) and the first man (time below 02:11:27) is of PLN 10 000.
- The cash prizes in the general category of disabled wheelchair users on the wheelchairs featuring a direct drive (active wheelchairs without any adaptors of the FreeWheel, eway, etc. type) and having a direct drive (sport wheelchairs – rim-push), with an indirect drive (handbike, chain ones):
- 1st place – PLN 3 000
- 2nd place – PLN 2 500
- 3rd place – PLN 2 000
- The prizes in the general ranking – women (1st – 6th places) and in the general ranking – men (1st – 6th places) are granted to runners based on their order of the crossing the finish line.
- All participants of the Marathon who complete the marathon within 6 hours are awarded a medal.
- An income tax according to the mandatory law provisions is deducted from the money prizes.
- The money prizes are granted into the specified participants’ bank accounts only via bank transfer upon receiving the results of the antidoping tests. It is not possible to pay the prize in cash.
- In order to receive the cash prize into the bank account, runners must fill in the necessary forms required by the Tax Office and send them to the address of the Organiser within 30 days from the finish date of the Marathon (Statement for fiscal purposes).
XV. Anti-doping control
- The winners of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th places in the general category of women and men shall be subject to the anti-doping control (including EPO).
- In case where doping agents prohibited in accordance with the WADA list in the “A” sample are found, the runner is informed about the possibilities and details of examination of the “B” sample at his/her own expense. A positive result of the “B” sample test automatically disqualifies that runner.
- In case where the competitor refuses to have the “B” sample tested, the result of the “A” sample shall be deemed relevant and shall result in the disqualification of the competitor.
- The Organiser does not conduct any appeal, explanatory or disciplinary proceedings based on the guidelines of the World Anti-Doping Agency, Polish anti-doping provisions, World Athletics and PZLA regulations.
- The Organiser shall provide a free accommodation on 14th/15th October 2023 to the first 600 participants of the Half Marathon, who shall mark the accommodation booking in the registration form.
- The accommodation shall be provided in the sport halls at 34 Spychalskiego Street in Poznań.
- The Organiser shall not provide the mattresses and sleeping bags.
- The competitors are accepted for the night stay on 14th October 2023, upon a presentation of the bib number.
XVII. Deposits, locker room, showers
- The deposits and locker rooms shall be located near the finish line of the Marathon in the area of the Poznań International Fair Ltd. (hall no. 3A).
- The competitors shall give their things to the deposit, packed in sacks marked with bib numbers from 8:15 a.m. until 9:30a.m. All baggage given to the deposit must fit in one sack/bag labelled with a sticker featuring a participant’s number.
- There must be no glass or other objects in the baggage left in the deposit that can be easily damaged. The Organiser is not responsible nor liable for such damage (cracking, breaking, crushing, etc.).
- It is forbidden to leave valuable items such as, for example watches, wallets with a valuable content, electronic equipment, etc. in the deposit. The deposit shall not accept any bicycles or other bulky items that do not fit in the aforementioned sack/bag.
- An issuance of the sacks/bags from the deposit shall take place on 15/10/2023 upon presenting the bib number until 4:00 p.m.
- Losing the bib number by the competitor releases the Organiser from liability for picking up the sack by another person.
- The Organiser shall not be liable for the things not left in the locker room for deposit.
- All participants who take part in the Marathon shall be eligible to benefit from the free massages and showers until 4:00p.m. in the hall 3A in the area of the Poznań International Fair Ltd. in Poznań, ul. Głogowska 14.
- The unofficial results from the run shall be posted on the web site at: www.marathon.poznan.pl promptly after the run.
- The official results of the run shall be posted on the web site at www.marathon.poznan.pl upon obtaining the final report from results of the anti-doping tests.
- The details of the participants (forename, surname, year of birth, locality, club, age category, net time, gross time, country, sex) who have completed the 22nd Poznań Marathon shall be placed in the run end results on web site at http://marathon.poznan.pl/strefa-zawodnika/wyniki/ unless the participant gives his/her consent to it while signing up for the run. In case of a failure to give a consent by the participant to publish the aforementioned details, only the bib number and the achieved run time result shall be posted in the official results.
XIX. Final provisions
- All run participants shall have a personal accident insurance during the run.
- A runner completing the electronic application form confirms that he/she shall run on his/her own responsibility and shall bear the associated risk, acknowledging that the participation in the Marathon involves a physical effort and entails natural risk and threatens with the accidents, a possibility of the bodily injuries and physical injuries (including death), as well property damages and losses. Completing the registration form and paying the registration fee means that the competitor has assessed the nature, scope and degree of risk related to a participation in the Marathon and has voluntarily decided to take this risk, starting in the Marathon at his/her own responsibility.
- The Organiser recommends before and during preparations for the Marathon to have the appropriate medical examinations or medical consultations depending on the age and physical condition of the Participant.
- It is forbidden to bring items to the Marathon route that may be dangerous to the other runners. It is forbidden to bring intoxicants, doping, illegal substances and alcoholic beverages to the venue of the Marathon.
- Any complaints, comments and requests regarding the issues related to the participation in the Marathon and protests regarding the results of the Marathon can be submitted, in particular, by e-mail to the address of the Organiser (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by registered mail to the address of the registered office of the Organiser (POSiR, ul. Spychalskiego 34, 61-553 Poznań), within the time limit of 3 days from the date of completion of the Marathon.
- The Organiser reserves the right to introduce the additional rankings and prizes.
- The advertising materials can be placed on the start, route and finish of the Marathon upon an exclusive consent of the Organiser. The advertisement of the items different than those of the official Sponsors and Partners of the Marathon is forbidden.
- The Organiser reserves the right to cancel or change the date of the 22nd Poznań Marathon in the event of force majeure events which may affect the course of the event. Force majeure in the meaning of these Rules and Regulations is any unpredictable situation or event of an exceptional nature, beyond the control of the Organiser, preventing the fulfilment of any of the obligations provided for in these Rules and Regulations, not resulting from the error or negligence of the Organiser and remaining insurmountable despite exercising due diligence, in particular: natural catastrophic events such as floods, hurricanes, windstorms of extraordinary strength, tornadoes, earthquakes, unusually intense and prolonged downpours or extraordinary and external events that could not have been prevented (such as war, martial law restrictions, insurrection, revolution, riots, terrorist attack), epidemic threats, epidemic thread states, epidemics and epidemic states, as well as new legal acts or decisions of administrative authorities preventing the Organiser from fulfilling its obligations. Neither the Organiser nor the competitors shall be liable for a failure to perform or improper performance of the provisions of these Rules and Regulations caused by force majeure.
- In consideration of the elections to the Parliament of the Republic of Poland scheduled for 2023 and the possible determination of the date of these elections for 15/10/2023, the Organiser shall be forced to change the date of holding the Marathon, which circumstance the competitors acknowledge and accept. Changing the date of the 22nd Poznań Marathon due to the date set by the President of the Republic of Poland for the parliamentary elections on 15/10/2023 shall not give rise to any claims on the part of the competitors, including claims for damages. The entry packages purchased by competitors for the 22nd Poznań Marathon shall remain valid for the race to be held on a different date.
Poznań, Februart 15, 2023. Director of POSiR